Aachen Climate Change Adaption Concept (AKA)
In the AKA project, climatological criteria were developed as a basis for a climate change adaption concept in connection with a new preparatory land-use plan.
The main attempt is based on the following steps:
- Definition of criteria such as parameters of exposition: daily and evening heat load, nocturnal cooling, PM exposition, and threshold values for assessment,
- Modelling of spatial distribution of parameters of exposition,
- Definition of parameters of sensitivity such as population statistics and questioning results and calculation of results for statistical units,
- GIS-based combination of exposition and sensitivity parameter based on statistical units,
- Consideration of overlapping climate functions.
Modelling was performed using partly geostatistical models based on numerous data, for example from projects like URBMOBI respectively City2020+. The results were further processed by statistical methods. Partly, the cold air drainage model KLAM_21 of the Deutscher Wetterdienst was used with a configuration developed to obtain data according with measurement results. Model output was processed to obtain results according to VDI Richtlinie 3787 - Lokale Kaltluft for use in planning procedures.
The project was executed in cooperation with planning office BKR AACHEN CASTRO & HINZEN (de) and was financed by the City of Aachen, Environmental Department (de).